Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pointer/Catahoula - Blaze (Experienced foster needed)


Hi my name is Blaze. I am a three year old Pointer/Catahoula cross who has had a tough start in life. I was originally bought from a puppy store, but my family decided they didn’t want me after I got too big. So I was taken to a local shelter in Alberta where I have lived for the past year and a half. In fact I have spent more of my life at the Fort McMurray SPCA than in a home. I am not handling shelter life very well. I am a very intelligent boy and I display alpha behaviour. While I have never bitten anyone, it is feared I have the potential. When I am in the kennel I react aggressively with strangers. So it is no wonder no one has wanted to take me home. But when I was in a foster home for awhile I did amazingly well. I have wonderful house manners, leash manners, and great recall. I get along great with all canine companions that I encounter and I am even good with cats and other small animals with proper direction.

But because of my long stay at a shelter I have developed aggression problems so I need an experienced handler who would be willing to work with me and a trainer. I respond well to assertive individuals and he would do well with a strong alpha owner that will correct my unwanted behaviours in a firm yet kind manner. I am not an attention seeker with strangers but rather bond very strongly with one person. As a high energy and highly intelligent dog I would do well if involved in activities that would stimulate me physically and mentally such as tracking, agility or search and rescue. I love having a job and am a very willing worker. An acreage or large back yard where I have room to roam is essential for me. I just love to run, swim, hiking and playing with other dogs. I am also excellent on car rides. In fact I have a lot of great traits and if someone would be willing to work with me in a home environment, I know I would make an excellent companion.

After a year and a half, the FMPSCA is out of options for me. They believe I will never be adopted as long as I stay in the shelter so my future is very uncertain. If you are interested in fostering or adopting Blaze, please contact the FMPSCA at 780-743-8997 and ask to speak with Catherine or Jacquie. They will take care of all transporting and other costs associated with adopting Blaze.

Blaze Facts:
  • Breed: Pointer / Catahoula Leopard Dog Mix
  • Sex: Male
  • Age: Adult
  • Size: Large 61-100 lbs (28-45 kg)
  • Color: Black - With White 
Blaze is:
  • Housetrained
  • Already neutered
  • Up to date with shots
  • Good with dogs
  • Good with cats
  • Not good with kids
  • Has special needs
If you are interested in meeting this rescue dog you must go A Better Life Dog Rescue to submit an Adoption Application.

Note: We regret that we cannot respond to general inquiries about our dogs unless accompanied by an an Adoption Application.