Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shepherd - Jesse

Hi my name is Jesse. I am a very friendly, very people loving 7 yr old shepherd cross who was dumped by my owners because they didn't want to continue to care for me in my older years. It seems they lost interest in me quite some time ago as I was very badly neglected when I came to A Better Life. My nails were so long that the fronts of my pads couldn't touch the ground. My fur was badly matted and filthy from never having been brushed or bathed in years. My ears were full of dirt and my teeth have been ground down because I spent my days chewing on rocks as that is all I had to entertain myself with. I am only 7 but my years of neglect make me seem older. 

When I first came to ABL I couldn't walk very well, especially on slippery floors. Now I am doing just fine on my foster parents hardwood floors. Two vet exams have confirmed I don't have hip dyslpasia or arthritis in my hips. But I do have some arthritis in my lumbar region so that is why I am a bit stiff when I first get up after sleeping for awhile. But my daily dose of Metacam along with glucosamine supplements have made me into a different dog. I enjoy people so much that on walks I will make a beeline for them and stand in front of them as if presenting myself to them so they can pet me. You see, I have had very little affection in my life and I am trying hard to catch up. Until I was rescued I forgot how wonderful it felt to be touched. Now I can’t get enough. And I am so happy to be out in the world that was denied me for so long - I am curious and interested in everything! I love going for long walks and hikes and have even started jogging. I am great with other dogs too and very much enjoy their company.

My foster parents have nothing but good things to say about me. They tell me all the time what a sweet, sensitive and very special dog I am. I am great in the car although I do need help getting in because I can‘t jump up. I also can’t climb more than a couple of stairs so I will need a home without them. I am a very easy going guy and am happy to just hang around with my people. I have a very cute habit of nibbling gently on your arm or even your bum when I get excited. I love squeaky toys and will sometimes empty out my toy box just to see if there are any new toys in there. I am quite hard of hearing but do occasionally respond to my name and can hear high pitch sounds (like my squeaky toys) and low rumbling sounds, although neither fireworks or thunder bother me. I walk very politely on the leash and am great off leash as well, although because I may not hear you call me I can only be off leash in safe areas away from traffic. You just couldn’t find a more gentle, loving, affectionate and adoring dog than me. My adoption fee is $100.

Jesse Facts:
  • Breed: Shepherd (Unknown Type) / Labrador Retriever Mix
  • Sex: Male
  • Age: Adult
  • Size: Large 61-100 lbs (28-45 kg)
  • Color: Red/Golden/Orange/Chestnut 
  • Adoption fee: $100
Jesse is:
  • Housetrained
  • Already neutered
  • Up to date with shots
  • Good with dogs
  • Good with cats
  • Good with kids
If you are interested in meeting this rescue dog you must go A Better Life Dog Rescue to submit an Adoption Application.

Note: We regret that we cannot respond to general inquiries about our dogs unless accompanied by an an Adoption Application.