Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shepherd - Coco

Hi, my name is Coco. I am agorgeous  9 yr old female  Belgian Shepherd with a very sad story to tell. My owners decided to move into a new apartment where dogs weren't allowed. So rather than try to find me a new home (I guess that was too much trouble) they just took me to a vet and told him to put me down. After examining me and determining that I am in perfect health the vet refused. The owners then tried a second vet who, thankfully, also refused. This vet suggested my owners contact A Better Life to see if they would be willing to take me in. Knowing that eventually my owner's would find a vet who would agree to have me destroyed because I was no longer convenient, A Better Life agreed. My owners told the people at ABL that I was fine with most dogs so I was taken to a foster home with another dog. Well I was quite fear aggressive with the foster mom's dog. And it appears I am fearful with almost every dog I meet. I bar my teeth and snap at them. The truth is that I have never been socialized with other dogs and have spent most of my life never leaving my home. (Apparently it was also too much trouble to take me out for walks or to the dog park).

 Now I am in a kennel which is very scary for me because there are lots of dogs here and I am frightened of all of them. I need a foster or adoptive home without other pets (I am not good with cats or other small animals either) who will be willing to work with me and gradually expose me to other dogs so I learn I can trust them and am safe around them. I am wonderful with people and am very loving and affectionate. In fact people can do just about nything to me and I never react aggressively. I sure could use a second chance at a better and life and home than I have had so far. There is no cost to fostering me and it is only $100 to adopt me (A Better Life believes that no dogs should not be given away for free because all dogs, even ones like me with behavioural problems, have value) I hope someone soon will open their heart and home to me so I can get out of the kennel and into the first kind and caring home I have ever had.

Thank you to my generous sponsor, Cohiba Communications!
Coco Facts:
  • Breed: Belgian Laekenois
  • Sex: Female
  • Age: Senior
  • Size: Large 61-100 lbs (28-45 kg)
  • Color: Black 
  • Adoption fee: $100
Coco is:
  • Housetrained
  • Already spayed
  • Up to date with shots
  • Good with kids
  • Not good with cats
  • Not good with dogs
  • Has special needs
  • Purebred
If you are interested in meeting this rescue dog you must go A Better Life Dog Rescue to submit an Adoption Application.

Note: We regret that we cannot respond to general inquiries about our dogs unless accompanied by an an Adoption Application.